Radiology Strategic Business Manager
- Main area
- Band 8a
- Full time - 37.5 hours per week
- Job ref
- Southampton General Hospital
- £47,126 - £53,219 pa
- Salary period
- 01/10/2021 23:59
- Interview date
The radiology care group is looking for a strategic business manager to support the care group with identifying and supporting implementation of strategic opportunities and objectives, implementing affordable developments, maximising capacity, securing income and developing external partnerships within the changing diagnostic landscape, supporting the implementation of the recommendations from the Richards Review.
The post holder will have experience of working with internal and external stakeholders with the ability to develop business cases and papers at short notice and to deputise for the radiology care group manager as required.
The successful candidate will have extensive experience of working within an acute NHS trust at a senior NHS management or clinical leadership role gaining specialist knowledge (with clinical professional registration) or managing complex service development programme/changes.
Main duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the ‘Job Description and Main Responsibilities’ section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.
Working for our organisation
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated ‘Good’ by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
All non-clinical roles may involve a mixture of on site and remote working, Specific details and flexible working options can be discussed as part of the interview process. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
What you’ll do:
The post holder will work as part of the radiology care group management team supporting the care group manager with operational leadership and strategic direction to optimize performance, efficiency and quality. The role will be extensive with delegated responsibility for budgets, the management of demand and capacity across the care group and the undertaking of specific projects The role will require liaison with key members of the radiology management team.
The work will generally be of a strategic nature but frequently by necessity will also be at an operational level which may involve direct contact with patients and their representatives. As part of the role, the post holder may be required to deputise for the CGM taking overall responsibility for aspects of the role in relation to planning and business development
What we’re looking for:
The post holder will have extensive strategic, business, operational, clinical commissioning, commercial and/or IT strengths which will inform their individual priorities.
The ability to remain calm under pressure and to be proactive meeting tight deadlines as required is essential
Apply online now
- Relevant masters degree or equivalent level of experience and knowledge including experience in a senior NHS management or clinical leadership role gaining specialist knowledge (with clinical professional registration) or managing complex service development programs/ changes
- Project management or change managementqualification.
- Demonstrable recent experience of working in an acute healthcare or equivalent setting in a senior operational delivery/management position
- Evidence of successful leadership, management and engagement of clinical teams to introduce change in a complex setting
- Knowledge of NHS finance to deliver balanced income and expenditure
- Report writing skills and experience. Ability to analyse and interpret complex data, to facilitate operational delivery decisions to support key performance targets
- Project management experience
- Experience in a CCG , clinical network (provision or commissioning) or NHSE
- Tender writing.
Aptitudes and skillsrequired
- Analytical – Analysis of complex/ highly complex activity and capacity data, making independent judgements about service changes based on this data. Ability to compare a range of complicated optionswhen planning service developments
- IT skills including word-processing and spreadsheets. Ability to assimilate complex information from a variety of sources to understand current processes, systems and services
- Developing plans – ability to establish for any given service, process or system, clarity about its objectives over time and to develop a clear succinct strategic plan to deliver those objectives. Provide service change information to patients and patient support groups directly. Ability to work independently with significant discretion within defined parameters and to demonstrate a common sense approach when advising internal and external groups in an understandable way
- Managing change – ability to collaborate with others to achieve agreed goals, by providing direction and championing change. Address and overcome barriers to change, including presentation to care group, division and trust where there are barriers to understanding and conflicting interests. Managing expectations and delivering to agreed deadlines
- Demonstrates clarity and breadth in use of verbal and written communications in relation to our patient group
- Ability to influence & negotiate by working with people through a decision making process to reach an agreed outcome. Be able to secure consensus on developing plans, stakeholder ‘buy-in’ and manage a range of different working relationships
- Project management – ability to manage and plan a project from initial idea to implementation of new service/change/operational policy
- Time management – Ability to plan & organise own workload effectively and efficiently together with that of the project.
- Ability to work under pressure, in a changing, complex NHS environment.
- Advanced PC skills in; - Powerpoint - Databases - Complex spreadsheets - MS project
- Analytical skills & knowledge - Data analysis - Use modelling tools - Interpreting data
Special requirements of the post
- Car driver, with full driving licence, or ability to travel between hospital sites or for necessary patient visits
Values and behaviours
- Patients First
- Always Improving
- Working Together
Further details / informal visits contact
- Anne Drummond
- Job title
- Care group manager radiology
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 07876 585181
List jobs with University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust in Administrative Services or all sectors