Patient Services Centre Administrator
- Patient Services Centre
- band 2
- Full time
- Part time
- Southampton General Hospital
- £20,669 - £21,318 pa pro rata
- 28/06/2023 23:59
Are you looking for a change in career? Are you reliable, and adaptable person with a positive friendly attitude to work in a busy fast paced office environment?
WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU.
We are seeking enthusiastic and passionate Administrators, experience or no experience as full training will be provided to join our teams at Southampton General Hospital and Royal South Hants .
Our Patient Services Centre is looking for highly motivated individuals to make a real difference to our Patients and their journey with UHS.
The PSC team are hardworking, committed to patient care and often the first point of contact for the patients and responsible for:
- Making and receiving over 20,000 calls a month from patients
- Booking over 650,000 outpatient appointments each year, covering 50 specialties across the Trust
- Managing clinics, rescheduling appointments, cancelling appointments and filling new clinics.
We have created an environment with a proactive culture of inclusion, respect, diversity, and equality in which you are encouraged to bring your whole self to work.
In return we are looking for someone with a 'team spirited' attitude to their work, whilst being confident, flexible, and having a highly organised approach to deal with a wide range of conflicting demands .
Should you wish to have an informal conversation please do contact us, we would love to hear from you.
Main duties of the job
Attached you will find the person specification document which provides more detail about the essential and desirable skills and experience needed for this role. We highly recommend you review this document and use it when completing your application as these criteria are used by hiring managers as guidance during shortlisting.
For an overview of the main duties of the role please see the ‘Job Description and Main Responsibilities’ section below. To understand the day-to-day responsibilities in more detail please read the full job description document attached.
Working for our organisation
What we can offer you
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated ‘Good’ by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
All non-clinical roles may involve a mixture of on site and remote working, Specific details and flexible working options can be discussed as part of the interview process. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
What you’ll do
- Provide excellent customer service to patients, relatives/carers and to external agencies.
- Provide a comprehensive administration, booking and appointment service for outpatients and ensure compliance with waiting time targets.
- Work in a centralised Patient Services Centre and provide cross-cover for other staff across the centre to ensure a consistent and effective administration service is maintained at all times.
- Build relationships with stakeholders internally and externally.
What we’re looking for
Ideally you will have experience of working in a customer led environment but we do provide comprehensive training to help you achieve your potential.
We’re also looking for you to demonstrate:
- High standards of accuracy with attention to detail
- Ability to communicate over the telephone and in person
- Competent IT skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages
- The ability to work independently but also be a good team player with a friendly and approachable manner.
The Patient Services Centre is open Mon- Fri 0800-2000 and Saturday 0800-1630 shift rotation is required for all new starters.
Applicants may be contacted before the closing date to arrange interviews.
Should you have any queries, please use the contact details below to get in touch.
- Good standard of education with literacy and numeracy skills to GCSE pass level 4-9.
- NVQ 2 diploma or equivalent
- Courses/further study attended to demonstrate evidence of personal development.
- Experience of working in a customer led environment.
- Evidence of computer literacy.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office packages
- Experience of working shifts.
- Call handling experience.
- Proficient in the use of hospital computerised patient systems.
Aptitudes and skills required
- Excellent communication skills, including written, face to face and telephone
- Customer service skills
- Proven ability to work to deadlines, prioritise and multitask
- Friendly and approachable manner
- Polite, sympathetic, and diplomatic
- Able to get on with people and share knowledge with others
- Able to assimilate information quickly,
- Team player
Special requirements of the post
- Flexible attitude – ability to work shifts that include evenings and Saturdays.
Values and behaviours
- Patients First
- Always Improving
- Working Together
The postholder will have access to vulnerable people in the course of their normal duties and as such this post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and as such it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service to check for any previous criminal convictions.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- David Navarro-Montes
- Job title
- Deputy Patient Services Centre Manager
- Email address
- Telephone number
If you have problems applying, contact
If you have problems with the
online application form please contact
Recruitment Support Services
Open Monday to Friday
08:30am to 5:30pm
- 01629 690826
List jobs with University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust in Administrative Services or all sectors