Consultant in Palliative Care
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Cancer Care
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- Full time - 10 sessions per week
- Mountbatten Hampshire
- £82,096 - £110,683 Per Annum
- 29/11/2021 23:59
Excellence. Compassion. Innovation. Boldness. We are seeking an excellent palliative care physician to join us in providing outstanding clinical care and support to patients and families, and develop new and innovative services. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for you to craft a post to match your interests and aspirations.
You will be employed by UHS NHS Trust and be based at Mountbatten Hampshire where you will have the opportunity to work with the established palliative medicine and multi-professional team on the inpatient unit and in the community. You will have the option to work with the Specialist Palliative Care Team at University Hospital Southampton in a range of areas.
Those who wish to develop a research portfolio are also encouraged to apply. Applications are invited for a full time, part time or job share Consultant in Palliative Care Medicine.
Main duties of the job
You can read an overview of the main duties of the role in the section below: Job Description and Main Responsibilities.
To understand the role in more detail please read the full job description and person specification documents attached.
Working for our organisation
As one of the largest acute teaching Trusts in England, we offer learning and development opportunities to help you achieve the career you aspire to. UHS is rated ‘Good’ by the CQC and in the latest national NHS Staff Survey, we were in the top 10 acute trusts for staff engagement and for staff recommending the hospital as a place to work or receive care.
We support flexible working and will consider requests taking into account the needs of the service. UHS employees are able to access a range of NHS discounts, are entitled to a minimum of 35 days paid holiday (pro rata), and we offer a generous pension scheme.
Southampton is an attractive place to live and work situated on the south coast, with an international airport and direct trains to London. The New Forest National Park and beaches of the Jurassic coast are also right on our doorstep. The city offers living costs 20% lower than London and 14 schools rated outstanding by Ofsted.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Our mission is to provide and promote good care and support to people living with, affected by or curious about death, dying and bereavement. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest standard of care and support to patients and their families, and constantly strive to ensure we reach as many people as possible, whenever and wherever they may need us. Over the last two years, Mountbatten Isle of Wight and Mountbatten Hampshire have developed a unique partnership, with one senior team leading both organisations, overseen by a single board of trustees. A new and innovative five-year strategy has been developed, focusing on creating a new model of care which will concentrate on reaching more people, which will be the springboard for creating your job plan.
As a Consultant in Mountbatten, your role will be pivotal in achieving Mountbatten’s success. You will be an inspirational clinician, leader, trainer and teacher. You will be compassionate clinician who puts patient care at the centre of everything you do. You will be excellent trainer for specialist registrars and GP trainees in the Wessex deanery, the wider multi-professional team and have the opportunity to work with the Education Team to develop and deliver teaching and conferences. You will relish the opportunity to work proactively with the multi-professional team, CEO and Executive Team to drive forward service developments to ensure the hospice meets the need of current and future generations.
The hospice serves a population of around 580,000 and covers Southampton, and parts of West Hampshire. It is a registered charity and company. Mountbatten Hampshire currently employs approximately 130 staff and benefits from the support of over 100 volunteers. We have a 21 bedded In-Patient Unit (IPU), a large day, self-help and rehabilitation centre, a community nursing team, Care at Home and Hospice at Home Team. In addition, we have a Psychosocial Care team, Bereavement Service and an Education Team. You will be joining a friendly, enthusiastic and dynamic multidisciplinary team. The medical team at Mountbatten Hampshire comprises two Consultants, an Associate Specialist, 2 Specialty Registrars, 2 GP trainees and two part-time Specialty Doctors.
The University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust is a major national centre for teaching and research, employing nearly 7,500 staff. Functioning as both a District General Hospital and as a Regional/Supra-Regional specialist hospital, over 50 clinical services are provided, which operate in a closely complementary manner to provide integrated patient care. The palliative care medical team at UHS comprises 4 Consultants, 2 Associate Specialists, 1 Specialty Registrar and 4 Specialty doctors. The hospital palliative care team receives nearly 2000 new referrals a year from all specialties and departments in the Trust and is involved in the care of patients with a wide range of cancer and non-cancer diagnoses. Over the last 5 years the team has established unique and innovative links with the Trust’s critical care units, cystic fibrosis team, renal and cardiology teams, particularly cardiac failure and adults with congenital heart disease. The team is actively continuing to develop the supportive care model of care to provide outpatient services for patients with cancer from early in their disease trajectory.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
You will have the opportunity to negotiate a unique job plan to match your skills and aspirations and to include some of the following
Consultant Role at Mountbatten Hampshire for inpatient and community
- Conduct weekly ward round
Review new admissions, provide cross cover for consultant colleagues
Community work, to provide advice for community CNSs, conducting regular undertaking domiciliary visits
Attend weekly specialist palliative care MDT and morbidity and mortality meeting at Mountbatten Hampshire
Actively participate in service development and developing the strategy and vision for the hospice
Consultant Role At Southampton General Hospital
- Option of joining established Palliative Specialist Palliative Care Team
- Option of developing sub-speciality interest e.g. non-malignant conditions and transition between services
- Option of delivering Enhanced Supportive Care developments
Consultant Role across bother services
- Educational and Clinical Supervision of Speciality Registrars and GP trainees in Wessex Deanery
- Option of contributing to expanding Education Team at Mountbatten Hampshire and extensive opportunities for education at Southampton General Hospital
- Participate in 1 in 6 second on call rota. This includes potential of Saturday and/or Sunday ward round to see new admissions and emergencies. Telephone support is also provided to the Hospital Palliative Care Team CNSs at SGH, community palliative care team CNSs at MH, healthcare professionals in the surrounding community and to the Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey.
- Development of a research portfolio is encouraged. The right candidate will have the ability to identify and agree research priorities and attract funding to enable them to undertake this
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
MRCP or equivalent
CCT in Palliative Medicine or appropriate qualifications and experience to allow entry on to the Specialist Register
Individuals wishing to apply must be fully registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) and should be either already on or within 6 months of eligibility to be included on the specialist register of the GMC.
The successful candidate will be employed under the terms and conditions of service for Consultants (England) 2003.
Interviews will be held on TBC
Job Reference: 188-MT0455 - This vacancy closes on or before: 13th September 2021
Should you have any queries, please use the contact details below to get in touch.
Claire Stark Toller
Consultant Palliative Care
- GMC Registration. (Specialist Register)
- MRCP or equivalent
- CCT in Palliative Medicine or appropriate qualifications and experience to allow entry on to the Specialist Register
- Recognised training in Palliative Medicine with postgraduate qualification
- Broad experience base in Palliative Medicine
- Working with of multidisciplinary teams
- Delivery of audit and Quality Improvement Projects
- Experience in Palliative Medicine research.
- Experience in developing new services.
- Experience in medical student teaching
- Experience of working within the NHS
- Experience of working within the independent sector.
Aptitudes and skills required
- Good clinical and interpersonal skills
- Good team worker.
- Ability to manage staff and resources and motivate others
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Track record of research including presentation and/or publications.
- Understanding of budget management
- IT Skills
Special requirements of the post
- Valid driver’s licence
Values and behaviours
- Patients First
- Always Improving
- Working Together
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Claire Stark Toller
- Job title
- Consultant Palliative Care
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 02382 548860
If you have problems applying, contact
If you have problems with the
online application form please contact
Recruitment Support Services
Open Monday to Friday
08:30am to 5:30pm
- 01629 690826